Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend Tournament - Sunday!!

Finally, info about the Next Tournament!!!

But first, a word from our sponsor: “DRINK CARLTON DRAUGHT!”






Before I get into this week’s tournament, here is a quick recap of the last two weeks:

Weekend of 5/12 – Hiatus
Weekend of 5/19 - Cancelled due to brilliant sunshine

Yeah, that’s right… I don’t know what happened up there in Long Beach, but I woke up to the warmth of radiant sunshine… and immediately cursed the forecasters who spelled out doom and gloom for our weekend.

So… what else happened this week…

We had considerable conversation about Rick’s wedding in Paris. Congrats to Rick and Nathalie… I think. We did have our very own “King & Queen” paparazzi hiding out in the church in Paris (yes our very own wedding crashers).

Here are some highlights:
1. Bomb explodes in a car in front of hotel in Nimes. Rick's cousin apparently saw it, but no one was nearby when it happened… doesn’t every wedding need a little excitement beforehand?
2. We think Rick got married, but It is not really certain yet as to who married who.














3. Rick has had a smile plastered to his face all weekend long. Sources are not sure if it is due to his marriage to Nathalie (we think he married her), or the fact that Tammy suggested the three of them get married.















4. There was a lot of kissing and way too much Frenching involved. However, our insider did mention that they didn't see Tammy French kissing anyone, but did see her kissing a Frenchman.
5. The next day after the wedding, Andi and Tammy were M.I.A. Rick however was still smiling…. Perpetually…. And walking with a noticeable limp.
6. The airlines lost Erika and Jan’s luggage. They had to wear the same clothes all weekend .
7. The volleyball table was named "Bacchus" after the Greek god of wine and intoxication. Representing proudly, our group outlasted the wine and champagne reserves!
8. Newly created buzz word: "EURO buns!” At first it was used for an American male butt in European underwear. Later on, it was used for all european butts.

On a different note... country... congrats to all of you who live in NYC. Last week NYC was voted the safest city the in the U.S. You say to me, “surely you jest!” Nope… safest city in the U.S. for mail carriers. Last year there were zero dog attacks on the carriers of our fine city. The postal service has a few golden rules for mail carriers. My golden rules is this:

If you believe a dog is about to attack you, try to wedge something between it and you… like any person who is smaller than you such as an elderly person or a small child. This human shield will allow you the time to escape. But don’t fret over this tactic too much. If you do find yourself in serious remorse afterward, just remember the first two Spartan rules of engagement; survival is for the fittest, and live to fight another day.

Also in the news, Melinda Doolittle was voted out of the American Idol contest. I hate to see when the really talented ones get shot down. Long live Sanjaya!

Pluto is a PLANET! But... Saturn is really cool!

The "dark side of Saturn" - backlit from the Sun. You can see Earth on the left side... look really hard!














Okay… this week’s tournament!!

This Sunday… the Andrew (Carnegie/Weber/Lloyd Wright) Miller "King & Queen" Beach Volleyball Bonanza Extravaganza Double Bicep Pump 40th Birthday Party Classic will be held in Long beach!! Party at Sung’s palatial Palace (aka The Pit) will be held immediately after the tournament. The Palace is just a mere few walking blocks from the tournament site. Food will be provided, including cake and pudding. However, it is requested that you bring the poison of your choice… for drinking purposes only.

Tournament start time is 9am! Please be there early to help set up nets. The last two people to arrive will be required to do tequila penalty shots with the birthday boy.

After the seventh round of tournament competition, the birthday boy will be required to knock out 25 push-ups and then perform 5 muscle poses of “Arnold” like proportions.


















We play at the Edwards Street location… which is just west of the National Blvd… make a right when you get to the boardwalk. Walk past the lifeguard house located on the beach (can’t miss it… and then you can’t miss us!)

Remember, the last train out of Penn Station to get you to Long Beach on time for the tournament is the Long Beach 7:48.

Now for the tricky part…

In the comment section, please provide the following information:

1. Will you be playing in the tournament?
2. Will you be able to bring a net?
3. Will you be attending the party afterwards?
4. Do you actually know Andy?
5. Will you be bringing a present valued at $100 or more?
6. Do you have an aversion to midgets and ponies?
7. Any other comments that will spark conversation!

32 comments:

chrisbPT said...

i'm in with a ball, but no net.
I would reconsider Edwards, as the regular pick up games will resume there this weekend.

Matt said...

I am in. I have no net. I have an old, dirty ball, which I will be glad to bring. I will also bring $100 worth of midgets. I'll probably hang at the party for a bit, but I might be heading out early to go back down to Jersey.

Todd Serad said...

We'll be there before the regular pick-up artists even get out of bed.

Sung Chung said...

1. Heck yeah!!!
2. Sorry, no.
3. Don't really have a choice.
4. Yep.
5. Does the use of my house count?
6. No, why do you ask?
7. I'm going to dis-invite everybody who beats me. The party will entail 4 people...

Anonymous said...

I think everyone who beats Sung should also do a shot.

Mike Sheehan said...

I'll be there with the following items:
1. Affirmative
2. Roger that
3. Yep, manning the grill
4. Does anybody really know anybody?
5. Does the use of my wife count? (hey now, she's cooking for the party, that's all I meant, really)
6. Ponies are cool, allergic to midgets (but not to dwarves, odd)

Todd Serad said...

Okay... we will move the tournament a little more west than usual. Still you won't be able to miss us at that hour in the morning!

Todd Serad said...

Hey Mike.... for me it is Gnomes... they kinda get under my skin a bit.

Anonymous said...

1. You betcha!
2. I am helping Mike cart down his net-well, I won't really be carrying it but it's community property by definition of marriage so I get a half claim on it.
3. Somehow, yes, I find myself doing that food thing. But anything for a friend's passage into the waning years of his life...
4. I know an Andrew- I've never heard him called Andy, but I know a couple of Andys. Does that count?
5. See 3 above.
6. I like ponies but unlike our pugs, they seem difficult to have multiples of. Midgets, though, seem more fun when there's more than one.
7. I'll be beating Sung at the tourney. But unless he prefers to starve, I'll be at the party taunting him and his idle threats of un-inviting me. Ha!

Unknown said...

1. Will you be playing in the tournament?

Yes.

2. Will you be able to bring a net?

Yup.

3. Will you be attending the party afterwards?

Yeah.

4. Do you actually know Andy?

No, I don't think so, but from what I've heard he seems like a good guy.

5. Will you be bringing a present valued at $100 or more?

Can we really put a price on the company of good friends?

6. Do you have an aversion to midgets and ponies?

Ponies I like, midgets less so -'cause you can't ride 'em.

7. Any other comments that will spark conversation!

Has anybody out there ever ridden a midget?

Matt said...

Oh, the stories I could tell...

avm said...

1. Will you be playing in the tournament? Yes.

2. Will you be able to bring a net? Nope.

3. Will you be attending the party afterwards? Um, Yeah.

4. Do you actually know Andy? Andy, he's a nice guy. But, Andrew is a cool cat. ;-)

5. Will you be bringing a present valued at $100 or more? Shoot, I didn't know about this part.

6. Do you have an aversion to midgets and ponies? Like Austin Powers, Midgets scare me... small hands, smell like cabbage. But, ponies... hell yeah.

7. Any other comments that will spark conversation! Please bring your A game and come with your drink on. By the way, the theme could very well be 40 oz for my 40 birthday. :-)

-Andrew

Anonymous said...

The day should definitely have a 40oz theme given that Andrew's taste in beer is mediocre at best. Just goes to show that you can take the boy out of Buffalo, but you can't take the Buffalo out of the boy...which is the beauty part of being friends with him. I know he's never the beer weasel at the beach house- he always drinks the awful beer he brings and leaves my precious stash of quality beverages alone.

Anonymous said...

I'm in. Is anyone driving in from Manhattan. Would love a ride for me and Scott from Clearwater who will also be joining us. I believe Todd actually meant National (not Edwards) in this post because we've been playing at National. In for the party too.

Todd Serad said...

Lanky Mike with the quote of the day... "Has anybody out there ridden a midget!!" LOL!!

Anonymous said...

Would love to play and celebrate Andy's birthday.
I'll be able to bring a net
and attend the festivities afterwards
I'll probably be bringing an Andi with me
I know Andrew so well he could tell everyone I named my son after him(not true, but so what)
isn't that present enough

On another note.
Will Beach Passes be necessary this weekend?

Anonymous said...

Beach passes are required from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day, I believe.

Todd Serad said...

Daily beach passes are around $6, yes?

notnyat said...

Beach Pass Rates

Non-Resident Individual (18 & over) $80.00

Non-Resident Family (Parents & Children 13-17) $100.00

Non-Resident Senior Citizen (62 & Over) $30.00

Child/Student (13-17 year of age) $20.00

Physically Challenged $15.00

Economy Beach Pass (10 Admissions) $60.00

Daily Admission (7 days a week) $ 10.00

Gotta love inflation! Figuring out the MemDayWknd plans but wanna play...

Darlene said...

If you are taking the LIRR from NYC, consider getting the "fun pass" for $18 which includes RT off peak to Long Beach, plus a beach pass (if purchased separately RT off peak is $12 and beach pass $10).

Anonymous said...

1.yes?
2.no.
3.sure!
everything else is a maybe since it's before noon and I really don't function that well this early.
What time is the tourney again?

Anonymous said...

I'll be there.

Mike Sheehan said...

I know what you mean about Gnomes getting under your skin Todd. I had to sit next to one on my flight back from Dubai—they never just shut the fuck up.

Anonymous said...

Yes the Ditty will be there to test the sand pre tournament...

Sorry no net

Yes, with my Speedo in tow...(not)

I know many Andy(i)(s)...

If I had $100 or more my present would be as many beers as he could handle...

Ponies yes...Midgets intrugue me...

If two birds are worth a hand in the bush, what would be worth four hands???

Regards,
Agnew Patrick Dietz
Cultural Attache to the
Consular Emirate of Dubai

Matt said...

Great idea, Darlene. I still have to figure out if I qualify as 'physically challenged', though.

Anonymous said...

Four hands would be worth 8 birds...

Todd Serad said...

Oh.. Patrick... I never did realize that was you down the hall from me in the corner office!!

Unknown said...

i'm in and so is steve

Anonymous said...

I met Sung last winter in Ixtapa. I saw Tammy and met Andi at Rick's wedding, so I suppose it's about time that I play ball with you guys at some place relatively close by. I have a net and will come to the party.

-Dave Larson

Andi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Four hands in the bush would be an orgy!

Mike Sheehan said...

I've started posting pictures from the tournament and the party, check'em out.